INDEX
INTRODUCTION
BASTARDY ORDERS
CANAL
CENSUS
CHURCH
CHURCHYARD and HEADSTONES
DOMESDAY BOOK
METHODIST CHAPEL
PARISH REGISTERS
1918 REGISTER
PHOTOGRAPHS
RAILWAY
ROLLS OF HONOUR
SALISBURY BUS and Archie Curtis
SCHOOL
SERVICEMEN KILLED IN ACTION
SERVICEMEN WHO RETURNED HOME
SURNAMES
TITHE MAP
VILLAGE HALL
USEFUL LINKS
WAR MEMORIAL
HOME
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

INTRODUCTION TO THE VILLAGE

 

AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH OF WEST GRIMSTEAD

Click on the photo to get an enlarged image

 

 

 

 

On the grid reference of SU212267 the village of West Grimstead is 5 miles SE of Salisbury in Wiltshire.

The population in 1831 was 186 but grew substantially in the 1960's with the addition of a small estate known as Greenfields and has, more or less, remained around the 300 mark since that time.

Although, West Grimstead is not a picture postcard village, it is a popular place to live, being peaceful, quiet, close to Salisbury, Southampton and the South Coast. It is also within commuting distance of London.

In the village we have a long established 12th Century Church and a Methodist Chapel, which was built in the mid 19th century. In 1847 the section of the Railway line from Bishopstoke to Salisbury, passing through West Grimstead, was opened. The Post Office in Mr Penn's Bakers Shop was opened in 1911 and our Village Hall was built in 1912/13. In 1920 Archie Curtis started his bus service

 

Electricity arrived in 1937 although some of the outlying parts of the village, such as Drove End and White House Farm, had to wait until the 1950's before they had electricity.

The Public Telephone Box was erected in 1939 and finally Mains Drainage was laid in 1971

The Village Shop and Alehouse both closed many years ago and due to the lack of permanent school buildings and facilities, anew Primary school was built in Alderbury for the children of both Alderbury and West Grimstead.

Until the early 20th century West Grimstead was, on the whole, owned by wealthy noblemen and was part of larger Manors or Estates. There are early references to the De Grimstede family, the village passing from them through the male line first to the Perots, then to the Berkeleys; next through the female line to the Breretons; again by the male line to Sir William Compton of Compton Wynyates. West Grimstead was then sold by Richard Compton to Sir Stephen Fox, Earl of Ilchester remaining part of that estate through the 18th century until it was sold to the Earl of Radnor in 1801 at the time of the Enclosure Act. In 1916 the village was sold by the Longford Estate, mainly to sitting tenants.

 

1970 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP OF WEST GRIMSTEAD

 

 

 

 

 

 

BACK TO THE TOP